Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Zacchaeus: Luke 19:1-10

The Zacchaeus story has traditionally been seen as a story of conversion in which Jesus brings salvation to a greedy sinner. The narrator sets Zacchaeus up as a rich tax collector. Everyone hates taxes. If the collector is taking an extra cut to enrich himself that makes him a perfect target to public derision. He was also a collaborator with the Roman occupation so that makes him an even more detested figure. Oh, there is more. Remember the song "Short people have no reason." This is the only story in the new testament where someones physical attributes are described. Why is that? As a kid I liked this story because I felt I often missed out seeing things because I was small. Oh, yeah, I loved climbing trees.

Two questions jump out on me? Why did Zacchaeus come out to hear Jesus in the first place? Was he on a spiritual quest? Did he see a hole on his existance that money and possessions couldn't fill? Although we like to psychologize the bible, this is not in the text. But the question lingers. Luke likes to have people from the margins of society encounter Jesus and be transformed. Luke usually is pretty hard to rich people--why is so favorable to Zacchaeus? Just two chapter earlier we had the rich man in hell seeking the poor and destitute Lazarus to give him a drink of water and to go warn his greedy brothers. The rich mans request gets ignored.

The second question is what motivated his restitution? Jewish law required people who repented of their sins to correct the situation and to repay ill gotten gains. Zacchaeus did this but went beyond what was expected. Why? Is it the good kind of guilt. You feel bad and want to set things right so do it generously? How often do charity campaigns show pictures of starving and ill clothed children to "guilt" the rich western audience to cut loose with a $15 monthly check to make them feel less guilty for their good fortune. But that sort of giving doesn't change people the way Zacchaeus was changed.

If i had a church of mostly "seekers" I might attempt to approach the text was asking the existential question poses by the story itself. Methodist bishop Geroge Thompson posed it well in a famous sermon: "Have you ever felt you were there with Zacchaeus up a tree, out on a limb, isolated from faith family that gave you birth, disturbed by the moral contradictions within your won conscience?"

I don't know. The familiar stories are hard to cover without boring people. I used to say, "What else can you say about the Prodigal Son?
I could use some creative help.

I just wish I had read Gary's comments last week about wildnerness before finishing the sermon. You only thanks God after the journey through the wilderness.

4 comments:

gary said...

James, creativity is really difficult on those well worn stories aren't they? Couple of thoughts I had. Doesn't appear that Zack was Jewish, at least the text makes no overt reference. So it is interesting that a non-Jew outperforms the Jewish regulations of restitution. I wonder if this story is in keeping with Luke's overall theme of showing Jesus' compassion for the outcast. (Gentiles, women, poor diseased all get great treatment in the Gospel). So it works well as a conversion/outreach story I think. Zack isn't the lowest of the low in that society (i.e. indigent, leprous female foreign woman), but he comes across as really irritating. A rich, sell out. Also he is short. Everyone makes fun of short people...believe me I know. Zach has things going against him, some of his own doing, some just a result of genetics. Maybe a passing curiosity in Jesus is met with an invitation that Zach can't refuse.
Is there an evangelistic opportunity here? Most surveys show that the reason most people attend a religious event is that they were invited by someone.
Sorry for babbling on...

AM Kingsfield said...

I think he wants babbling, Gary, so babble away.

I guess I always thought Z was Jewish.
I like the "out on a limb" comment. It reminds me of the conflict I sometimes feel between my own failings and the pressure to be a "good Christian." This new church is much more forgiving and accepting of my flaws - both of my doing and otherwise. Mostly that conflict is residual and self-inflicted now.

Maybe we all think everyone else has it more together than we are. It's good to remember we all have our shortcomings.

James said...

I thank you for your comments. I have been told by some people that they read the blog but feel it is not easy to respond to. I will try to improve the accessiblity.
I agree with Gary that there is an faith sharing invitation for most everyday Christians. Even before i was a pastor i was asked by friends and stragners alike to share with them why I believed and followed Jesus. We all know peole who are curious about Jesus--he has many fans. Have we offered to come over and share our stroy of faith. It doesn't have to be a concise well scripted conversion story and you don't have to ask them to repeat the sinners prayer and make an on the stop conversion.
Jesus just sees a curous person who is making a special effort to see and hear him so he invites himself over and they share a meal and great changes take place.

Anne said...

Gary, I like your babbling, I like the insight to stories like this you can't just get by skimming the bible.