Thursday, January 31, 2008

Mental Muscle

Hard to believe that I am starting my second month of regular and intense exercise. Don't get me wrong. I am never really very far out of shape. I just tend to get disgusted at myself for overeating and overindulging myself during the holidays (or the summer Bar-b-q season, or the summer vacations with family---you see I don't need many excuses) and set out to lose weight and improve my conditioning. I usually go hard for 3 weeks. I lose enough weight to make my clothes fit again and then slack off. I have come to lower my expectations. I accept a higher weight "range."
Regular disciplined exercise that becomes a lifestyle has always eluded me. I would much rather read in my spare time then hit the treadmill and do sit ups at the gym. The morning newspaper is more stimulating then 30 minutes on the exercycle. So it is hit and miss for me.

The reasons for my continued commitment to exercise and watching my diet are many. First, my wife is really working out hard. She has a personal trainer and gets going some mornings before I even get up. Since she has a long daily commute to DC and back and still gets to the gym four times a week I have to keep at it just to be supportive. Secondly, I really believe that SWEATING MAKES YOU SMARTER.
I found support for this in AARP magazine. Yes, that is the American Association of Retired People. I am 15 years (or longer) from retirement but the AARP is one of the most progressive organizations in America. Their magazine is free to members (you can join at aged 50). In an article in the March 2008 issue they reported on evidence that exercise improves memory, concentration and abstract reasoning among older adults, and may even delay the onset of Alzheimers. It works like this:aerobic exercise increases the blood flow to the brain, which nourishes brain cells and allows them to function more effectively. Brain cells, they have discovered, can be regenerated. Exercise promotes this growth.
I'll have to talk to Linda about this: there is a yoga move that is getting attention for boasting brainpower. The movement is called Superbrain Yoga and is being practiced around the country as an antidote to brain drain. To learn more google Superbrain Yoga by master Choa Kok.

The new testament talks about the need to train the body and the brain in order to make us into stronger followers of Christ. Discipline is required to be effective long term. I don't think discipline always requires rigid rules (i.e. you must exercise 4 times a week for 30 minutes each time and double your heart rate) but it does require focused INTENTION. These intentions need to produce regular actions.
We have to train our thoughts because they lead to actions that become habits (good and bad ones) that produce behaviors that create our character. I don't believe we can neglect the interconnectedness between our minds and our bodies. We cannot be mentally fit and physically inactive. We are fools to think we can let our bodies go and think our minds can remain sharp.

Proverbs talks about a folly common to young people. Because their minds are more nimble and their bodies are more flexible, they can come to think that discipline and structure are not needed to perform at a high level. Young people often get by just on talent alone. However, as you age you cannot overcome sloth with raw talent and energy. Disciplined attention to your job or calling usually beats superior talent that is not harnessed. Lessor talent that practices usually beats talent that doesn't practice.
Well, I would right more and welcome your comments. It is after 4pm and i have to get to the gym.

2 comments:

Linda said...

A few years ago, there was a study done on yogis that supposedly showed that they were less intelligent then the rest of the population since they spent so much time standing on their heads... I find it interesting that now they are saying that standing on your head makes you smarter. I'm hoping that they don't decide that sweating makes you dumber...I'll be in big trouble then. :)

AM Kingsfield said...

I suppose it is all about balance. I'm seeking middle ground between dumb jock, flabby nerd, and chubby church lady.
Our social advances have taken all the built-in exercise out of our daily lives, not that I want to haul my water or beat my laundry against a rock.